Friday, January 06, 2012

Esme Simone Batsford - Born 24/11/11

The frantic period of Alfie's Birthday, Esme's Birth and then Christmas has put me massively behind with my blogging, and so I'm hoping to find some time to catch up with things over forthcoming days.

As we expected Esme was late, but we had wonderful support from our Independant Midwives and Mel our fantastic friend and Doula.  I won't go into all the details here, I'm sure Tash will do that on her Maybe Diaries blog, and so the short version is that after three days of labouring in our birth pool at home we referred into Bedford Hospital where Esme was born 24th November 2011 at 10am.


Tash spent the next week in hospital as the doctors ran test after test to initially work out why she was short of breathe, and then to try and deduce what heart problems had reared their heads.  Its now January 6 and we still don't know exactly what happened, and are very much in the dark as to why it all happened.  I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear that further tests are coming Tash's way!

Anyway, after a week of me playing mummy (which included collecting donor breast milk and feeding Esme myself as by now Esme had been discharged) finally Tash joined her back at FTC and it was lovely to be home together as a family. 

In our final moments cuddled up together on the sofa before we transferred in to hospital I suggested to Tash that it might be nice to finish off our 'birth experience' back in the birth pool as we had planned all along.  And so with us all back home we refilled the pool once again and had a lovely time with Alfie and Esme in the water.  It took Esme a little while to get used to it, but Alfie thought Christmas had come early!

Welcome to the world my darling daughter, now the fun and games really begin!


No comments: