After our previous successes with the Racecar Shack I hadn't expected to do much until the Fig Tree was moved, freeing up space for us to comfortably finish off the roof.
But things have dragged on with getting the Fig Tree moved, and then a few weeks ago we had a number of very windy days which took developments out of my hands. We had planned to move the enormous budlia, and in fact had hauled half of it down ourselves with a good piece of rope and a large amount of heave-ho!
It has now become apparent that our previous partial felling resulted in a slightly off-balance tree. An off-balance that when attacked by a few very windy days (as we suffered over 6th and 7th January) would result in the remainder of the tree coming down. On the plus side, this meant the tree was down! On the down side it meant I had to do some fence repair and tree removal as we were now sharing our budlia with the Social Club next door.
I was heading out to walk Harry and I noticed how light and spacious the back of the shack looked. And then I realised why!
And so I picked up the phone and rang Bill to see if he had plans for the weekend. Cos we had some chopping to do!
The weekend arrived and we got stuck in. When you jumped through into the Social it became appartent at just quite how large the budlia was!
Even as we got down to the larger branches there was still a huge amount laid the wrong side of the fence.
We got a little method worked and made pretty quick work of it. Before long the main trunk of the tree had been stood back up and felled back on itself and into our garden. This revealed the sorry state of the fence, and that the fence post had seen far better days.
I had an old fence post in the garden though, so although it meant more work it wasn't the end of the world. Due to lack of space, and the old fence post remains, we were left to drive in the new fence post with sheer brute force. The downwards end had a spike cut into it, and we then set about whacking the post into place. With just a lump hammer. Whilst stood on my wood chopping tree stump. Which was balanced on a picnic table in the garden of the social. But we got there though. And then we fashioned together what we could of the old fence panel.
We realised this left a handy man sized hole in the fence. Clearly we needed to patch this up to stop people coming through into the garden, but not before we made use of it to escape into the Social for a quick pint.
Our drinks were rudely interupted when my phone rang and my beloved wife informed me that our son had been creating mahem all afternoon and what the hell was I doing having a pint. In truth she needn't have rung, we could hear her as clearly as if the properties had been terraced!
And so we finished off the fence, patched together with a few shelves that were previously in that unit by the back door. There are no photos. It had got dark whilst we were in the Social!
Bill made a dash for home before we sat down for food as he had some of his own wind damage to repair, but as we neared the end of our meal it became very clear just how crazy had been during the afternoon. He had properly worn himself out!