Monday, April 29, 2013

Black Cats Hit For Six

The games kicked off yet due to traffic I find myself jogging past the church towards the Holte End.  It's just started raining. An omen?  This is a must win game.  My season ticket clicks in the card reader and I pass through the turnstiles.  A quick glance at the screen in the foyer shows only a few minutes have passed, but I pause briefly to watch a corner be claimed by their keeper.  A two hour journey means a quick pause at the gents is required before I take my seat.  As I stand at the urinal I feel the adrenaline pumping through me, my heart pounding so hard in my chest I swear I can hear it echoing off the tiled walls.  Did I mention this was a must win game?  To those who don't 'get it', it's moments like this why us football fans just can't walk away.

I remember games like this when I was younger, just wanting games to end and points to be bagged.  A much older, wiser, and less superstitious me can enjoy the moment much much more.  And tonight was just amazing.   Properly 'did that really happen' amazing.  Sunderland took a beating and somehow we repaired our goal difference to climb above Newcastle to 16th.

No comments: